Sunday, June 12, 2011

Best Friend, Best Friend, 大切な人


It's amazing how many times I've watched this video in the last few days. To be honest, I sort of found it by accident while trying to find another version of the song. Despite its being 10 minutes long, I decided to watch it anyways, and I can't seem to stop watching it.

It's not that the song is that amazing. Lyrically, it's pretty simple, and would never fly as an English-language pop song. But that's the joy of JPOP... it's not really trying to be English Pop. And that's OK.

But that's besides the point.

For the first 6 minutes or so, you listen to the members of SMAP talk about how that night was the last night of their tour, and how the year before was tough because one of their members had to leave the band for a while.

After all five members say their little spiel, the song starts. And this is where my love for SMAP multiplies tenfold. Nakai can't even get through the first line without starting to cry. If you listen to the song, you'll notice that every sing one of them either sings like they're holding back tears, or has to stop singing at some point. According to someone in the video's comments, all the people behind the stage were crying as well. Fuck, if I were there, I'd probably cry too.

I've watched so many SMAP videos over the last few months, and this is not the first time I see them get emotional in public. But the fact that every single member gets affected in this particular video is sort of adorable. You just want to give them all a hug!

OH YOU PRETTY, GROWN MEN! HOW YOU WARM LITTLE PINKY'S COLD HEART!

No comments:

Post a Comment