Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pretty Canadian?

At school, I am technically part of the "US Program", although I am not American. This being said, almost all English-speakers at my school are American. So far, I know of only three Canadians in the entire school (not that we're a very big school... but still...). In general, there is no problem with that. I've made some really nice friends, which is great. The girls in my dorm, especially, are suuuuper nice and we all get along really well. :)

What's interesting is that, although I am here primarily to learn about Japanese things, I am simultaneously learning about the differences between Canada and the US. For one, I have discovered that they do not have Smarties in the States.... Their "Smarties" are what we call "Rockets", which are completely different things. I also had to explain to some friends what the word "tuque" meant (which Americans apparently call "toboggans"). My American friends have also caught onto the fact that I overuse the Canadian 'eh' and this amuses them. Hooray for filling stereotypes XD

Talking about stereotypes, there's this one guy in my class who is driving me crazy. He pretty much fills the "Ugly American" stereotype. He's overweight, unshaven, drinks a lot of soda, wears a tuque in class, and talks out of turn. He talks aaaall the time, it's so annoying. I wouldn't mind if he was positively contributing to the class, but he really isn't. We have daily kanji quizzes, and he always 'jokingly' complains to the teacher about them, and all other homework we get. I think he thinks he's being clever. He asks questions that have absolutely nothing to do with what's going on in class. Today, he was even reading a book during class... My class is like 16 people with the desks arranged in a U-shape... you can see what everyone is doing... It was so rude. And I'm afraid that I'll be associated with this sort of ignorant rude behaviour, as one of the only other non-asians in the class. I don't want this "Ugly American" tarnishing my image. Although I dress weird, I don't dress trashy, or sloppy, I am very nice and respectful in class, and would like to be the opposite of this unfortunate stereotype. Can I be the "Pretty Canadian"? Does that work?

On the plus side, I think some of the Korean students like me. I've been paired up with some of the guys for class activities, and they seem pretty nice ^^ Some of the girls stare at during class sometimes, which is a bit intimidating, but whatever. I can't say that I've officially made any friends in my class yet, but I feel like that might change soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment