Monday, January 31, 2011

The Card, Part 2

I've had a couple of negative responses to my card-writing idea and have been thinking about what to respond for a while.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate that my friends are simply trying to look out for me, but people have to realize that I've never done things like other people. I don't dress like most people. I don't talk like most people. I don't think or act like most people. So this being said, I don't simply categorize someone as "jerk" or "asshole" because of their inability to return feelings. That's life. Is it disappointing at times? Absolutely, but that's just the way it is.

I don't like when people say that he isn't worth it. I don't think anyone really realizes how indebted I feel towards him either. Or how much I appreciated even the little things he did for me. Because at the time, they were the right things at the right time, and sometimes that's what you need, someone to be there right at the right moment to help you get through small hurdles.

Now, I'm not going to explain all my reasons for my wanting to write this card, but what I am going to say is that it's more complicated than "I really liked the guy and want him to like me back." We're way past that. I have realized that it's never going to happen, even if I sometimes relapse into like-mode, but that doesn't make me angry or bitter towards him at all. This does not outweigh all the positive emotions attached to this person.

People are simply people. Most aren't especially good or bad. They're all just trying to get by the best way they can. And the way I get by is by trying to do as many good things for people as possible, all the while trying to respect my own needs and wants. Most people never return the favour. But maybe one day, I'll meet someone who thinks exactly like me, and our friendship will be both of our ideals. And if I never do, I hope that that does not keep me from trying to do good for others.

All this to say, I found a card, it's been written, and it's going out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment