Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy One-Month, Tokyo~!

Okay, well I'm technically a day late, but oh well.

It's officially been one month since I've come to Tokyo. I've already learned so many times in such a short time.

For one, I've begun understanding the lifespans of household items. I know roughly how long a roll of toilet paper lasts me, a bar of soap, a carton of orange juice, etc. I know how often I have to wash dishes when I only have 1 of everything. I know how often I have to do laundry. I know how long it takes for my laundry to dry (which is a really long time in the winter... :S).

I've also started understanding how friendship works. I've never been separated from friends for this long, so all of a sudden I'm starting to understand how frail some friendships are. Granted, everyone's busy with work, school, and their own personal lives, but still. You notice who checks out your photos, who comments on your statuses, who remembers your birthday, etc. I've also started understanding how quickly you can become friends with new people when you're all in a similar situation. Had I met all the people I've met here back home, I doubt I would have become so close to some of them in this short a time.

I've also tasted the freedom of being on your own. I don't need to check in when I'm running late. I don't have to justify going out after class. I make my meals and eat them when I please. I go to bars and karaoke till 4 am. I've taken care of myself while sick.

I've experienced life as an immigrant as well. I'm officially a resident alien in the eyes of Japan. I've experienced the frustration of language barriers in simple situations. I know what it's like to be the only non-Japanese on a train, on a street, in a store. Sometimes people stare, but I don't take it badly. Standing out is not something that I've experienced for the first time here, so let's just say I'm somewhat used to it. It bothers a lot of my friends, but honestly, I think people are more curious than judgemental. Either way, I stare at people all the time, so who am I to criticize people-watching?

I'm also officially a member of Japanese society. I separate my trash. I own a National Health Card. I own a contract cell phone. I have a bank account. I own a reduced-fare PASMO. I can navigate train stations on auto-pilot. I have a Japanese address. I go to the Supermarket. I wear a mask when I'm sick. I have about a dozen members cards to stores I may never visit again. I recognize the cats that live in my neighbourhood. I greet the old lady across the street. I purikura regularly.

I guess a lot of these things are pretty normal, everyday things. But they're still a new experience and part of my new relationship with a new city. I love where I live right now, and I love most of the things I've experienced so far. I love learning more and more about the country I live in. I just wish I could become better at the language quicker, so that I could absorb even more of my surroundings.

The first month's been pretty good, let's just hope the next eight months are even better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment