Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Matter of Perspective


I had a pretty fun day today. Two girls from my dorm, my dorm manager, and I went to the university near our place to check out their library and their cafeteria. As we sat in the cafeteria and ate our food, we started talking about the really good-looking guy sitting at the table far away. I was ooh-ing and ah-ing over his wonderful hair and sweater, and the other two girls also seemed to find him rather attractive. My dorm manager was surprised by our liking of him, because to her, he was very ordinary. With every wonderful "ordinary" guy that we passed, my friends and I continued to make comments about their beauty to our dorm manager.

I explained to her that, although these guys might look ordinary to her, Japanese guys (as well as all the Korean guys at school), dress so nicely, that it's hard not to find them attractive. Most North Americans guys dress like slobs, to be honest. Some people put such little time and effort into their appearances back home, that there's very little attractive about them.

Japanese men are very beautiful from behind. You fall in love with a guy without ever seeing his face. His hair is gelled in gravity-defying ways, his pants are tight, his shoes are pointy... he might even be carrying around a purse. This happens to me every day when I commute... I fall in love with people before I even see their faces... To be honest, the face is secondary. If he's cute, that's an added bonus, but it isn't one of the qualifications for him to gain a special place in my heart.

I wonder if this makes me a shallow person. On one hand, I totally sound like one. But on the other hand, I don't care much about the "raw materials". I don't need someone who was born with a perfect face. I just want someone who puts effort into his appearance.... is that so much to ask for?

At the very least, I can definitely say that I am enjoying my fair share of eye-candy while I'm in Japan. It's so wonderful. And I see a lot of host-type guys, and they're amazing too. There was a perfect-looking-potential-host in the Ikebukuro train station the other day.... MY GOD, HE WAS PERFECT lol. His face was perfect too.... aaaah.... lol I definitely want to go to a host club before I go back to Montreal. It'll cost me out the ass, and my Japanese is still not good enough to actually get the full value for my money, but at some point the experience has to be had.

So enough of me gushing about beautiful men... I experienced a Matcha Latte from Doutor today... It was super nummy.... ヾ(´▽`*;)ゝ" I need to have it again... Yes, yes... And because I just putzed around Ikebukuro all day, I realized that there's a Doutor coffee shop about 10 min walking from my place... (not to mention 2 between Shinjuku-Gyoenmae and my school...), so I can probably say goodbye to my money, and hello to more of these heavenly lattes lol. I really wanna try out a Sakura Latte from Starbucks too, but I was turned down by both Starbucks' I went to today because they were both full... Ohh well... I still have some time before they disappear ^^;

I bought another JLPT N2 book today too. I've bought 3 in the last 2 weeks. I really want to try and pass N2 in July~! And much to my surprise (and delight), I've actually been reading them and working with them. It's wonderful. Reading them is a little bittersweet though. They're definitely helpful, but they do remind me of how much learning I still need to do in this language. At the same time, the more I read them, the more I'll learn. Even if I only retain 10% of all the vocabulary I've learned from these books, it's still 10% more than I had before, right? ^^


No comments:

Post a Comment