Sunday, March 3, 2013

13.03.03

1. Got to meet up with the old roommate today, which was really nice. What I really love about seeing him is that there are some things that I can really only talk to him about. Not because they're big secrets or anything, but because he's the only one who can truly understand some of the things I experience here. He's my only caucasian-foreign-exchange-student-in-fashion-school friend, which sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is. He understands my daily frustrations better than anyone else. And I miss being able to let out steam on a daily basis with him.

2. As much as I complain about things, I really do enjoy living here. I'm just tired from the last few months of mega stress to write positive things all the time. But I promise I'm having fun.

3. So I discovered a whole forest of white hair. Two forests, actually. In other words, I can never really put my hair up again... O__O

4. School year's almost over and I'm pretty excited to have a few weeks off and start a whole new year of new kinds of learning and new adventures.

5. Tokyo grows bigger the longer I live here. Every year I seem to change addresses, change jobs, make new friends. And because of this, I discover new parts of the city, take new trains and metros to new stations. I connect train stations by foot, and see all the residential and commercial bits in between. And it's wonderful.

6. I really enjoy walking through residential Tokyo. When you limit yourself to big stations like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Roppongi, and pretty much anything on the Yamanote Line, you get the false image that Tokyo is jam packed with people. And in many ways, it is. But the residential areas are actually quite empty most of the times. And the buildings are lovely. The layout is wonderful. To most people, it probably isn't very exciting, but it's just so different visually from Montreal, and I just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment