Monday, November 1, 2010

I'll Trade It For Your First Born Child

I never used to like dolls as a kid. I never really played make-believe either.


I just liked to hug stuffed animals and do arts and crafts.


I don't think I'm all that different as an adult. I still have tons of stuffed animals (many who sleep in my bed with me… ehehehe) and still like to craft.


But now I've begun to like dolls too.


Not all dolls mind you. I think it all started off with Playmobil, after I started working at my current job. We sell a ton of Playmobil (the whole catalogue!), so I get to interact with them 35 hours a week. They're really adorable, with their smiley faces :D. Not gonna lie, in the last 4 years I've accumulated dozens of Playmobil figures… they live as a small army on one of my bookshelves XD


Circle of Playmobil


Recently, I've started collecting Pullip dolls too. I picked up my first Pullips in February of this year. I had seen them at Urban Outfitters of all places, and upon realizing that the ones they had were all Alice in Wonderland themed, I had no choice but to buy them all (Alice in Wonderland is one of my weaknesses…). I came home, did some research, and discovered that the dolls I had bought were merely mini dolls and that bigger and more exciting dolls existed… And so it all started… :D


I now own 9 minis and 5 full-sized dolls. What I like about the full-sized ones is that they're completely customizable. That way I can combine my childhood love for crafting with these new toys. I make their clothes, I change their eyes, I give them make-up, I change their hair… I pretty much turn them into completely different dolls ^^


Mad Hatter and Alice

Mad Hatter, made by me ^^


What always disturbs me, though, is how people react when I show them my creations. Although they praise my work, one of the things that most people say is "You should sell them." These are like children to me. Why would I want to get rid of them? Not only do I become emotionally attached to these plastic people, but the amount of time, energy and money that is involved in the creation of these dolls is so high, that you'd pretty much have to ask for $300 a pop, which isn't actually making all that much of a profit. Buying a naked, used doll can cost from $60-$100, and that's before you start calculating the hair, eyes, material, shoes, and all other things you have to buy for these dolls. All together the dolls and their accessories end up costing somewhere between $150 and $200. Then you spend hours of your life transforming them into their perfect forms. You bond with them as you customize them. They become a sort of reflection of your creativity and abilities as an artist.


Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga, also made by me ^^


So telling me to sell them is like telling you that that 5-year-old child you've just raised is really bright and cute, and that you should sell her for a profit, cause you've done such a good job raising her. You've fed her well, taught her right from wrong, and have equipped her with nice clothing. I'm sure you could make at least $500 for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment