Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Of Mice and Men

I really hope I'm not getting sick.

Lately I've been feeling sorta odd. My stomach always feels unwell, so I don't really eat, which in turn causes headaches and other shitty feelings. I also pull muscles like it's nobody's business, which is all kinds of painful. I sort of hope it's just all stress-related, because I don't have the time to get sick right now. I've got less than 20 days left in the country, and so many things still to do. And when some of these 20 days are holidays, it makes getting actual important stuff done a little harder.

Today started off pretty badly. By 8:30 am I was already fuming. I guess it was a mixture of disappointment, confusion and bullshit-intolerance, but it really got me upset. I guess I just get hurt way too easily and have confidence in the wrong people. Thank God I had so much shit to do, so I didn't actually dwell on the situation for too long (though I did lose a good hour of productivity, but, hey, could have been worse, I suppose). My day seemed to get worse as I got to the bank, only to find out that a pipe had burst or something, and they were closed for the day to clean up. Of all the days for crap to go down, it had to happen on the one day I had put aside for getting tons of shit done. I'm on day 5 of 10 straight work days, so I had to get everything done by 4 pm, which of course seemed impossible at this point.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" is one of the best things that high school English class taught me. I guess that's why I don't like to make too many plans... if you leave things open-ended there is less to go wrong, less disappointment to be had.

After my crappy morning I pretty much reached the it-can't-get-much-worse stage, and things started getting better. And so did my mood. Work was actually fun and training the new girl (or should I say 'woman'? she's 12 years older than me) was a lot better than I thought it would be! And even missing my bus was positive: I ran into the girl who works at Inglot who's super nice and we got to talk for 10 minutes on the bus :)

So in the end, the few random pluses in my day ended up negating the shitty morning I had had. Proof that I'm not a completely negative person.

No comments:

Post a Comment